If you only have time to watch a bit - watch it from the 30 min point.
- Decile does not equal quality
- National standards do not equal progress
- Expect kids to achieve more and they do
- Teachers do not have to know everything - it is more freeing for students to know that
And backing up my last post about finding The Element:
- 'Soft subjects' are hard, and require thinking
- 'Soft subjects' are critical - what would we do if we didn't have panel beaters and trades?
- It's ok to be a kinesthetic learner.
- Vocational learning is valuable learning
- Keeping kids in school for an extra year or more will improve life chances by a tremendous amount - keep them there and keep them engaged!
- Giving hierarchy to certain subjects (maths, english, science) means we won't get our entrepreneurs and services
- "There are lot's of way of being excellent."
- The NZ curriculum is a powerful document because it talks about more than just content.